Thursday, November 9, 2017

Still learning

For as long as I can remember I have preferred shooting with a narrow depth of field (DOF). I did this usually to help drive the eye to my main subject in an image. But since going to just a prime lens like on my X100S w/TCL-X100 (and leaving the news industry), I have had to adjust. With no more wideangle or telephoto f2.8 zooms available, I have been having trouble seeing photographically with just a 50mm field of view and getting the look that I wanted.
But I was finally able to get the DOF I wanted recently with today's shot. I was sitting in the local coffee shop that I go to when my wife is at her writers' group meeting reading the newspaper (yes, I am one of those old farts you see actually reading a newspaper in (GASP!) print.), when I looked up to see this young lady sitting down with her laptop. Before bringing the camera to my eye, I adjusted the film speed and aperture (I usually shoot in aperture preferred mode and have for almost 50 years!). I also shoot with manual focus but use the focus lock button on the back of the camera to get the focus close and then fine tune. And being a guy who likes the rule of thirds composition "suggestion", I placed my subject on the far right side of the image so the blurry background was the inside of the coffee shop because I really wanted the person at the counter to be in the shot.
Maybe after all this time (I have had the X100s for almost six years!) I am finally starting to slow down enough to get what I want out of this camera.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment