Monday, July 24, 2017

The director

From the "FACES" collection book of images. The story behind getting this image takes a little explaining.
When I first started freelancing for a small relatively new Florida weekly in 1998, I wanted to do some shooting that was more than just a standalone image or assignment. I wanted to do something a little more long term to tell a story in a series of images. With that thought in mind, I decided to check out the local community college and see if there was something that capture my interest. I settled on following the development of a theater production from first auditions through opening night. I started covering the production but soon realized I needed some words to go with it. So I enlisted the skills of my wife. Once a week, we would travel to the campus and I would shoot and she would listen and interview. We turned the weekly event into our "date night" usually stopping at a local Waffle House for dinner on the way home.
Now to today's image. The director (also, if memory serves, the drama professor) was someone I had met earlier while covering a musical production that the paper wanted to cover. He was intrigued with the idea and gave me complete freedom to shoot whenever I wanted. One evening, the cast was sitting around a table reading through the script as he silently listened. The slightly harsh lighting created a dramatic portrait of him as he listened. Since I was shooting film (Kodak Tri-X), I needed to be a little creative myself. I pushed the film two stops to ASA1600 so I could handhold my camera with a 2,8/80-200mm lens with sufficient shutter speed to prevent blurring. This also added to the overall effect of the film by increasing the contrast with the over-development. But I think it works well for the effect that I wanted.
In using this image in the "FACES" collection, I spent some time looking for a good quote to pair with it. This one from Terrance Mann caught my eye:
"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theater will make you good."


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment