Thursday, June 22, 2017

Just a tug

I recently purchased a refurbished Nikon D2H and Nikkor 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 superzoom to see if I could rekindle my joy and passion in photography that I felt was lacking with the Fuji equipment I have been using. I have only taken the Nikon out once but I am already thinking I made a mistake.
I used a Nikon setup for several years with these particular pieces of gear and loved the flexibility of the lens and the camera. When traveling, this lens would spend 90-95% of the time on my D2H giving wide angle to telephoto range of 27-300mm, just about every focal length I would want.
After using just the fixed lens Fuji X100S and its 35mm lens for the last month or so, I now find the lens cumbersome at best. Add in the fact that the D2H and 18-200mm which used to feel so comfortable in my hands now feels like a ton of bricks. The camera and lens are in super condition for gear that is several years old but I just don't seem to be getting the joy out of them as I once did.
There is a second reason I am not taking to the setup that I once loved. I have been trying for the last four years to change my way of seeing with just fixed lens equipment. I did not think I was making much progress in that effort but after seeing my initial set of images with the D2H it is obvious that I have made strides in changing the way I see. My goal when I shifted to the Fuji gear was to try and see images like some of the first photojournalists like Capa, Cartier-Bresson, Dosinea, and the like. Upon seeing my efforts with the Nikon, it looks like I might have succeeded in doing that.
I am going to give a little more time to the Nikon before making a final decision on whether or not I keep it.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment