Monday, May 2, 2016

Writing home

This is an image that has never been published that I took while working with a small weekly newspaper. The editor, for some reason after working with me for seven years, decided I needed to follow one of the staffers at a nearby sister daily. Most of the staff at the daily knew my work but, I suspect, did not have much respect for me since I was working for the weekly. The photo editor assigned me to trail behind their most junior photographer during his assignment day. Our first stop took us to a local air force base where some field exercises were being run.
At first, I just watched the staffer I was with hoping to learn something. What I noticed is he seemed more interested in stage images than what I usually took. He kept telling the exercise participants to "just don't mine me." I soon quite watching him and started shooting my own style which tended to be more of a fly on the wall.
I saw this shot as I moved through their bivouac command site. For me, It could have been taken anytime in the last 70 to 80 years. This airman, whose name I cannot remember, was writing a letter home just as any military man or woman would do before emails, texts, skype, or other electronic means would have done before the age of computers and the increase in technology.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment