Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Carrollton Creative Writers' Club

I went with my wife today to the meeting of her creative writing group and sat off in a corner planning mainly just to read. But as I sat there, I decided to try and take a few photographs with my X100S and see if I could get a composition that might work.
I edited down to this one image which I cropped so that most of the extraneous stuff (extra chairs, a trash can, etc.) would not be in the image. The final product sorta works for me as there is so much going on in the image. First is the woman with her back walking away from me. Then the two guys in the center chatting before the meeting begins and, finally, the group of four that includes my wife (her back to me). In my mind, there is a mathematical progression to the image (1,2,4) that appeals to me.


Since I am still working through some physical restraints, I thought this would be a challenge to see if I could come up with something that worked for me. And these days that is all I can hope for.
Right now, I am still trying to "see" differently than I did when I was a working photojournalist for a small Florida weekly. Back then I carried a pair of Nikons with a wideangle zoom on one and a telephoto zoom on the other. Then I usually had a normal prime in my photo vest and a long, fast telephoto prime for sports and other occasions in the car.
I have been trying to get myself to slow down and look for the decent compositions that appeal to me. I feel comfortable with the image. It is a very ordinary image of ordinary people doing ordinary things. And, as a lifelong documentary photographer, that is all I can hope for.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment