Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Churton Street, London, England

I've decided to spend some time reviewing my travel archives. To start this effort, I decided I would start with some trips that my wife and I made to the United Kingdom back in the early part of the 21st Century.
Today's image is from a trip in 2006, our last to the UK. While it looks pretty dismal, this was actually one of the few days that it rained.


I think we may have been doing laundry this day. The shot was taken on Churton Street in Belgravia with a Nikon D2H and Nikkor 18-200mm lens. At the time, the lens was one I preferred for using on travel. While the reviews were not stellar, I found the lens to be quite adequate for my uses. Today, however, I use only prime lenses and the longest one I have is an 85mm that I use on a Fuji X-E1, an APS-C camera, giving my a focal length of 127.5mm. After 35 years of shooting with a variety of zooms, I am still getting used to having just primes. Today I do my cropping in post work rather than by using a zoom. The Nikon D2H was a 4.1 megapixel camera so having some reach with a lens like the 18-200mm allowed me to do cropping in-camera. The Fuji, on the other hand, has a 16 megapixel sensor so I can still "see" the image I prefer and do the cropping afterwards in Photoshop. I still like to maintain the 3x2 factor in cropping as I prefer the 35mm film format over square. It is just a personal preference.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment