Tuesday, June 9, 2015

1st roll

Shortly after my wife bought me my first SLR (an Olympus OM-10 w/Zuiko 1,8/50mm), I decided to take a photography course at a local community college. I wanted to get some instruction on developing and printing of black & white film as I did not like the prints that I was getting from a consumer developer. Everything looked like the same shade of gray. As a result, all of the images were very flat. After seeing some of the work by Ansel Adams, I knew there had to be a better way and that involved taking control of the developing and printing processes.
This shot is from the first roll I ever personally developed. When I open the can and saw there was actually something on the film (i.e., I had not screwed up the developing process), I was thrilled to say the least. This image is not very good composition-wise but it is what I think is the best one from that first roll.


The film is Tri-X shot at ASA400 (I had not yet heard about "pushing" film) and developed in D-76 1:1.
From this humble beginning, I would 20 years later (1998) begin to freelance for a little weekly newspaper eventually becoming a contract photographer for the same paper and the only staff photographer the paper has had to date. Sadly, all good thing must come to an end and the 2008 recession forced me out due to cutbacks and I had to return to a previous career field to pay the bills. Now I am "retired" and trying to find my way down a different photographic path. So far, it has been a fun journey!
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting... 

No comments:

Post a Comment