Monday, May 4, 2015

Mistaken Identity

Went to a local arts & crafts show in the town square on Saturday and decided to take just my dad's old Yashica Electro35 GS. Loaded with its usual 36-exposure Tri-X, I put on a 3-stop ND filter so I could shoot wide open if I wanted but don't think I did. But had a couple of things happen that usually happen when I have this camera.
Got to talking with a guy at one booth when he noticed the camera. I told him it was a film camera that had belonged to my dad. He asked where I got film developed and I told him I only shoot b&w film in it and develop the film myself. After a couple of questions about where to get film developed and darkroom availability, he mentioned that he had an old Minolta that had belonged to his mom. He thank me for answering his questions and said he was inspired to get the camera CLA'd (cleaning, lubrication and adjustment) and shoot some film.
A little while later, I was approached by a woman who inquired "is that an M3?" I said nope and told her what it was. As we continued to talk, she told me her father had given her an M3. Never did ask what lenses she had be did mention my quandary about whether to dump my digital gear and go totally back to film  since I was no longer seeking publication of my images. In parting, I said "never let that M3 go!"
My dad bought the Yashica in England on a trip to England to visit his daughter, my sister. I still have the instruction manual along with his original sales receipt. He also bought a full camera case which is where the camera sat for many years. On his death, the camera was passed on to me as I was the only family member interested in photography. I had the light seals replaced and have used it since.


And I am still thinking about going totally back to film. Maybe picking up a Leica or a Zeiss Ikon ZM or Contax G2. But I have 14 rolls of film I need to develop before making a final decision. I have a "good enough" scanner in my Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED and, even with the extra time to scan, there is something about pulling that roll of film out of the developing tank and seeing that there is something actually there.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment