Friday, March 20, 2015

A little apprehensive....

I am trying to compile what I call "memorable" images that I have shot over the years (almost 40 so far) that I will put into a book for my kids. I plan on giving a little write-up on each image so my kids and grandkids know the story behind each shot.
I picked this one today just because it was the first one that came up in Adobe Bridge. Shot in 2001 at the Sandestin Triathlon, I was freelancing for a little weekly. As usual, I arrived well before start time to get some "before" shots that could be used. (The weekly had a habit of running multi-image front pages which was great for me.)
After getting a few participants checking in, I wander down to the beach to see what was happening. After walking a ways down the beach, I turned around to see if anything would peak my interest and there she was. Shooting with a Nikon F100 and Tokina 80-200mm f2.8, I used the long lens wide open to isolate her against the other people.
She looked like she was chilled in the early morning but there seemed to be something more. After getting a few shots, I pulled out my notepad, walked up to her and introduced myself. After getting her name and where she was from, I asked if she was all right. It turned out this was her first triathlon and she was quite worried.
I never did see her finish. That was my failing. I should have concentrated on just her and made an entire series of images of just her.
Hindsight is always 20/20. But here is the shot that ran in the paper that week.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment