Sunday, September 21, 2014

I like it anyway....

There is a lot wrong with this photo when judging the composition. It is tilted. Lines cut into the top of the car. The framing cuts off the lower and left part of the car. And on and on and on.
But, for some reason, I really like this shot. It is probably the only shot from the car show last night that I really think is worth keeping. Won't mean anything to anyone but me.
I think the reason I like is for several reasons. Shooting at f8, I got a lot of depth to the image. Everything is recognizable with none of the bokeh so prevalent in sooooo many of my images. I love the sharpness the 23mm lens on the X100S produces especially stopped down like this shot.
And the image reminds me of style of images from a lot of the early photojournalists of the 20th century. In bright daylight such as this, they had to stopped down their lenses to get the exposure within the limits of the gear they were using. Most cameras, either rangefinders or SLRs, had a top shutter speed of 1/1000 of a second. When shooting even ASA200 speed film, the lens had to be stopped down in daylight to prevent overexposure. In looking at the EXIF data for this image, I was at f8 and ISO200 which got me a shutter speed of 1/950 second. I could have activated the ND filter on the X100S and opened up the aperture but, for this image, it might have detracted from the overall impact. At least for me.
And aren't most of us shooting for ourselves? Pros have to deal with directors, clients and editors and give them what they want. But, for most of us, it is all about pleasing ourselves.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting...

No comments:

Post a Comment