Thursday, September 11, 2014

Be careful what you ask for.....

I recently applied for a newspaper's staff photographer position as I miss being in the game. Well, today I got a call from the managing editor to see if I was still interested and would I be willing to do an assignment or two to see what happens beyond my website and portfolio.
The first assignment is to cover a football game for one of the local high schools.
If I still had my Nikons and all the lenses (I had coverage from 18mm to 450mm in FF), I would not be anxious in the least. My D2H bodies along with the fast zooms and primes could easily handle the assignment. But since I now have just a Fuji X100S and a Fuji X-E1 along with just a couple of primes, I am wondering if they will do the job. I won't be using autofocus on either camera. For the X-E1, I will have the Fuji 1,4/35mm and a Nikkor 1,8/85mm. It should be an interesting night.
I enjoyed shooting all the various high school sports for my Florida newspaper and loved being on the sidelines, in dugouts, etc., for the games. But this will definitely be different. I will have to anticipate better than ever before and I have not cover a football game in close to three years. Fortunately, I did cover my granddaughter's volleyball game a couple of weeks ago so that should help the reflexes. Not sure if I am young enough to do this anymore (I turn 67 next month) but it will be fun to try. Wish me luck!
Here is a shot from 2009 that has always stood out in my memory. This was shot with a Nikon D2H and Tokina 2,8/80-200mm at f2.8 & ISO1600.


And one from my granddaughter's volleyball game. This was shot with my X-E1 and the Nikkor 1,8/85mm at f2.8 & ISO6400.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting....

No comments:

Post a Comment