Tuesday, August 26, 2014

New project

When I made the jump to trying to make it as a full-time photographer, I really wanted to become a news shooter. I was fortunate to make that happen with a one-year old weekly. For 10 years, things went well. Until the 2007-2008 timeframe, the paper pulled in good revenues (even got a four figure bonus one year). I got to shoot everything from features to spot news to sports and, yes, even the illustrious check presentations. I made a little money on the side commercially as well.
I won several Florida press associations' awards for both single images and photo essays. But I have never done a conscious long term project. The Georgia town I relocated to has revitalized the downtown square with numerous restaurants, clothing shops, commercial offices, and even a small college outlet. I have been shooting in the square for the last year but without a defined purpose. Now I am trying to make a focus attempt to do a project that I am calling "In Passing". I will be trying to capture people in motion around the square from local shoppers to delivery men and any other motion with people in it. I plan on shooting both digital and film. The film will be an exercise to regain some skills lost since shifting to digital. I will be using my dad's old Yashica Electro35 GS fixed lens rangefinder which gives no indication of shutter speed. It is a great little camera overall and, while not in the class of a Leica, is fun to shoot with. I also plan on shooting from both the hip and eye levels.
Well, enough talking. Here is the first selection that I think will make what I hope will be an exhibition and/or photobook in the future.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting....

No comments:

Post a Comment