Friday, August 22, 2014

Film - still gets my juices flowing!

Since I am no longer making money with my photography, I have been rummaging through my old film images, mainly good old Tri-X film that was my mainstay back in the day. The first trip my wife and I made to England, I took a pair of Nikon F100 bodies and just a couple of lenses, a Tokina 24-200mm superzoom and a Nikkor 18-35mm (left all the 2.8 zooms at home but wish I had taken a couple of the primes), and (if I remember correctly) 20 rolls of Tri-X. I usually carried just one body during a day's shooting but both lenses and changed lenses as necessary. I shot Tri-X at ASA1600 so I could shoot at higher shutter speeds indoors and, with the F100's top end shutter speed of 1/8000 sec, was still able to shoot wide open with this pair of slower zooms.
Pushing the Tri-X two stops results in higher contrast and more grain than usual but, for me on that trip to the UK, it worked. Here are a number of images from Edinburgh and London shot during that bit of travel. Hope you enjoy.

Family at Edinburgh Castle
Children at Edinburgh Castle. Love the perceived tension of the little girl on the right as the other girl moves in on the young lad.
Cashier at Edinburgh's The Elephant House where J. K. Rowling penned the Harry Potter series.
Flower vendor at Edinburgh's Waverly Station
Scot waiting on a bus on Dalkeith Road in Edinburgh. This was the nearest bus stop to the Dunedin Guest House where we stayed.
On London's Tube (probably the Victoria line) during rush hour.
Outside a foreign consulate in London. I believe it was 37 Eaton Place.
A cafe across from London's Harrod's department store.
A London resident buying flowers at a neighborhood market in Belgravia neighborhood of London.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment