Friday, July 25, 2014

A new direction

This shot goes back to when I was just starting out as a freelance news photographer for a small weekly in northwest Florida. The time was New Year's Eve, 1998. The editor asked me to cover an all-night skating party for teens and kids. This shot ran on the front page as two young girls strapped on their skates.
I miss being a shooter for a small community newspaper. Being able to meet people of all ages is one of the best parts of that job. I still keep up (through social media) with some of those young people that I captured in the 15 years we were down in the area. Since the recession hit and I had to find a "real" job to pay the bills, the lack of imagery in that little weekly is really depressing. I am not the greatest photographer in the world but I had such opportunities for photographs that ran from breaking news to sports to check presentations. The potential for great images on a local level were everywhere!


Now I am trying to find my direction again as I had to enter retirement due to lack of work. Now I just need to really get MOTIVATED!!
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment