Friday, June 27, 2014

Back to film?

Recently I happened on a website of historical photographs. New ones are posted everyday (usually more than one) and run the range from glass plate to silver nitrate. Some date back to the late 1800's and run the gamut from architectural to documentary to portrait. The site is Shorpy Historical Photo Archive (www.shorpy.com).

The site has really captured my attention and has gotten me to go back and take a look at my "historical" archives when I was first starting to shoot a little more seriously.  These images are not that old (around the turn of the century, that's 2000 not 1900!!) but I think show a style and rendering of early days. Just ordinary people on vacation doing ordinary things. I wonder where my "eye" for these type of images went. Both were shot in the resort town of Seaside, Florida, and bear little resemblance to the place today. I did a lot of shooting of Tri-X usually pushing the film to ASA1600 so I did not have to change film when going from outside to inside and vice versa. That accounts for a lot of the grain in these images. But I do love Tri-X and still shoot it on occasion in my dad's old Yashica Electro35 GS.

I especially love the older lady (I call her "Grandma" for obvious reasons) eating her ice cream in the first one.


In the second one, it is the little girl tugging at her mother's shorts that catches my eye.


But it is more than that. It is the "feel" or quality of the film that really gets me in these shots. That "feel" is why I sometimes wonder if going back to strictly film would suit me better in my remaining years. Going totally "old school" has its advantages but I am just not ready yet. Maybe later.....
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment