Sunday, June 8, 2014

A belated thank you...

As I was perusing some archives this week I ran across this image. With the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings being held this past week, I thought it appropriate to post with my thanks to all those who participated in liberating the world that day. These thanks especially go to my dad (1916-1997) who served in the U. S. Navy during WWII.
I do not remember this gentleman's name (I have it in one of my many notebooks from my decade as a small town newspaper photojournalist) but I do remember he was a B-17 crew member. This particular aircraft, Aluminum Overcast, was restored by the Experimental Aircraft Association of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. It arrived at the airport in Panama City Beach, FL, in October, 2003, for some event which I have also forgotten.


In addition, the press was given a ride in the aircraft and I came away with enough interior shots (cockpit, the bombadier's nose compartment, etc.) that the newspaper ran a full page spread of several images. I may share the one from the bomb sight later.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

2 comments:

  1. This picture is a fitting tribute to those who participated in D-Day. This lovely character's face has so much experience of life in it and the backdrop of the restored aircraft is most fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, he was quite the talker as well, David! Wish I could remember some of his tales but this old memory of mine is not what it used to be (along with the rest of me - lol). It was a thrill to take the ride in the aircraft and get up to the bombadier's sights.

      Delete