Friday, May 2, 2014

Sad but true

Here is another shot from the recent jazz festival I covered. The 13 previous times I covered this event I used SLR/dSLR gear with a variety of lenses, both prime and zoom, all with a maximum aperture of at least f2.8.
This time I used mirrorless gear in a Fuji X100S and a Fuji X-E1 with the Fuji 1,4/35mm and a Nikkor 1,8/85mm. While I am pleased with the images I got, I felt something lacking on an emotional level as I have been editing the images. And I have not been able to figure out what yet.
This image is of saxophonist Vincent Ingala and keyboardist Jonathan Fritzen with the X100S. The image is at one of the most energetic points in their performance but, even so, I had trouble during the performance feeling an emotional attachment to what I was doing. Go figure.
There were some hassles with security at the festival this time and, at one point, I even considered forgetting about the festival and just having a mini vacation. I am wondering if the hassles clouded my enjoyment of the event. Or if my way of shooting has changed so much that doing these kind of events no longer appeal to me as a photographer.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

2 comments:

  1. Richard, your pictures at the festival appear to me to be just as great as ever. I like this picture - it is full of atmosphere and feeling. Why do you think you had hassle with security this time? Was it because you had a different camera set up and didn't look "professional" or because their security has tightened up since previous years?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The left hand did not seem to know what the right hand was saying. The worker bees at the gates were given information from their bosses that conflicted with what the event organizer had set up. Each day, I had to get the event organizer (I have know him since 1999 - the first time the event was held) to come to my rescue in order to gain access.
      There just seem to be something missing this year. Like I said, maybe the security hassles clouded my enjoyment to some extent or maybe it is the different gear I am using now that I am no longer a working professional for a publication. I was greeted by fans who have seen me at the festival over the years and I gave out a ton of business cards but right now I think the problem was just in my head.
      I did have one ego boost. A young 20-something woman came up to me the first day just after she had taken a picture of me working the event. She said she had been coming to the festival for a number of years and I always was in her photographs. Quite a ego boost for a small town photojournalist!!

      Delete