Sunday, May 11, 2014

No zooms!

As I prepared for this year's Seabreeze Jazz Festival, I was concerned about the images that I would capture since I only had three fixed focal lengths, a 23mm, 35mm, and 85mm (35mm, 52mm, and 128mm in full frame). The one thing I have found is that with the additional capabilities of the 16megapixel sensor of the Fuji X-System over my 4MP sensor of my Nikon D2H bodies I can crop without having any detrimental impact on the image. With the current software available I can still enlarge it to 12"X18" or more.
I have found that some of the same images I always got with zooms I still got with the fixed lenses. But the lenses also opened my photographic eye to new images that I used to miss because I was always looking to come in tight with a 80-200mm zoom or extreme wide with a 12-24mm zoom thinking that was the way to get high impact images.
The first shot is of Jonathan Fritzen with only a small crop to the image from the Fuji X100S. Besides a slight crop, the image was processed with the pinhole preset in Silver Efex Pro 2.


 But the second image is of Alex Bugnon that I might not have gotten with my Nikon equipment. Not because the Nikons could not have rendered the image (this was shot with a Nikkor 1,8/85mm AF-D lens on the Fuji X-E1) but because I might not have been receptive to the image. Not the fault of the gear but the fault of yours truly not being open to the image being there.


This image was not cropped but was put through Silver Efex Pro 2 the same as the first image.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment