Thursday, May 8, 2014

Making the change

Really beginning to enjoy the one holdover from my Nikon days - the 1,8/85mm AF-D lens. I used it extensively at the Seabreeze Jazz Festival in April and broke it out today to cover my son's youngest daughter's school awards ceremony. As it turned out, her older sister was tasked to provide assistance at the ceremony so I got a shot of both of them. While it is a little long for a portrait lens on the X-E1's APS-C size sensor, it does allow me to catch them unawares.
First the awards girl. For quite some time she had been quite shy in front of the camera but seems to be getting used to granddad and his cameras. (I wonder if part of her losing her camera phobia has to do with the fact that I no longer carry huge Nikon D2H bodies but little Fuji X-System cameras.)


Oh, and the little white specks around her eyes are not sensor problems. She wore glitter eye makeup.
Second, her sister, the usher.


Really starting to get more of a handle with the X-E1 and focus peaking. Even though it is a little difficult to see the shimmer that occurs in brightly lit situations, I am finding I can just about nail the focus. If push comes to shove, I usually use the magnification feature to ensure I am focused.
The manual focusing is bringing down my number of shots (and I have missed a few shots) but I am paying more attention. I can see why some photojournalists who don't need 8 frames per second (like on my D2H) are transitioning to mirrorless or rangefinder cameras. With the capability to use a variety of lenses, the "character" of the lens can sometimes produce an image that the photographer wants in a particular situation.
I also carried my X100S to get some wider shots. I got this one with the X100S (that kinda reminds me of a still from a movie) as my son turned to leave as his daughter headed back to class after trying to convince him to sign her out of school early due to her multitude of awards.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment