Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Editing - the toughest job for any photographer

I am still going through editing images from the jazz festival last week. Editing images is one of the toughest job that any creative has. Being able to disconnect from images emotional and look at whether the image truly works (or NOT!) requires me to give up ownership and really "see" if the image works. Some I will keep "just because" but others will go into a "rejects" file for a variety of reasons - missed focus, poor exposure (under or over), etc.
But the Fuji cameras' sensors seem capable of doing more than my early generation Nikons with their JFET LBCAST sensors.
Case in point is today's image. I am not sure how my Nikon D2H bodies would have recorded this image but I seriously doubt it would have appeared to overexposed like the Fujis. Even though the image looked like the highlights were totally blown out, once I brought it into Adobe Camera Raw I was able to correct the camera's reading of the scene to one that works for me.
Here is the uncorrected image as ACR brought it into Photoshop. (I always shoot in raw. It is just a habit and fits my post processing routine.) Noticed especially the white rectangle in the upper part of the image and the brightness around Eric Darius's right shoulder. I really did not think I would be able to get any details in those areas.


Now here is the image after some adjustments in ACR and processing through Silver Efex Pro 2. The "blown" highlights show decent detail and this was a manually focused image using the focus peaking function.



This was shot with the Fuji X100S (wide open at f2.0, 1/500 second, ISO6400) and, after processing, I really like the look of the image.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

2 comments:

  1. wow!!! That is amazing. I would not have though that could really be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize, James, for not responding sooner. I get so few comments I forget to check! Thanks for your comment here. I, too, was amazed at the detail that was retained in the RAW image file!

      Delete