Monday, March 24, 2014

Planting day

A local vineyard was expanding and invited residents to come help with planting the new vines in exchange for lunch and a taste of local wine at the end of the day. My wife and I decided to go but my main desire was to photograph the event. With the upcoming jazz festival next month, I wanted to make sure I was handling the new equipment properly. Most of the images were shot with either the X100S or the X-E1 with a Nikkor 1,8/85mm AF-D lens. I also took the Fuji 1,4/35mm along. Both the Nikkor and Fuji lenses were fitted with a 3-stop ND filter and I also used the 3-stop ND filter that is part of the X100S firmware.
This shot (with the X-E1 and Nikkor 85mm) is of my lovely bride planting a lenior grape vine in the ground.


I did plant a couple of the new vines but spent most of my time shooting. In payment for lunch, I am building a web page and offering to send images to the people that showed up to plant.
I was surprised at how quickly I felt comfortable shooting while focusing manually. I even shifted to focusing manually with the X100S. I am not perfect yet but only had a few misses on focusing the focus peaking feature of the two cameras. Felt kinda good to be manually focusing instead of using an autofocus capability. Reminded me a little of when I first picked up an SLR in 1978.
Oh, and one guy thought I was shooting film instead of digital because of the look of the Fuji cameras.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment