Monday, February 3, 2014

Separate paths

Just ordered Peter Turnley's latest book, "French Kiss - A Love Letter to Paris" as a way of studying the direction I want to go in with my photography. When I was working for the small weekly newspaper, I got to document life in the area. I was never really that much of a "photojournalist" but more of a documentary photographer who got to work with a newspaper.
Peter Turnley, who is one of the top photojournalists of my time, has not only traveled the world documenting many crisis but has lived in Paris for four decades. One thing that he says keeps him grounded is to return to Paris and document the beauty of the city and its people.
Now that I have relocated to a new area, I have yet to feel a "connection" with where I am living and that is my fault. I am hoping that Turnley's book along with books I have of Cartier-Bresson and Doisneau I will find the inspiration that I need to move forward with a new "connection" to this area.
Today's shot was taken in London near Victoria Station and, I feel, shows the style of photographs I want to strive to find. Three ordinary people on their way home from their workday. This image is from our last trip to the UK and our only trip in the springtime. London is a great city for this type of image. Now I need to spend some time getting to know my current home.

The everyday images of life in this area I have chosen to live in with my wife for what will probably the final days of my life are what I seek. But it is more than just documenting life. One of the things from studying the old and new masters is how they "see". Time has to be taken to find a image that is worth pushing the shutter button for. So much of what I see today in my own work is how the images fail to be worth keeping. All I can do is keep moving forward and hope that the spark from all those years ago returns.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment