Thursday, February 6, 2014

Reviewing.....

I went back today to look at some photos taken with the Fuji X100S to see why some of them worked for me. This one is of my son's two daughters. Just a simple shot of them sitting at the kitchen table.
But as I began to look at this image, I was reminded of what I have been seeing in the images of various photographers, both old and new, I have been studying. Many of their images, when you take the time to look at them, are filled with graphic components. While a viewer may not consciously see them, these elements play into how the eye perceives the image.
The eye will be drawn to the lightest area of an image but in getting there I find my eye will get distracted by another element such as a diagonal line and land on a different part of the image.
In this shot of my granddaughters, the juxtaposition of the two and their poses add a number of diagonal lines and triangles to the image which, for me, caught my eye when reviewing the images from that day. But until I started really studying good photographers' photos, it was not something I really would "see". I am hoping that this effort will help me produce images that I feel are worth tripping the shutter button for.


Oh, I just received my copy of Peter Turnley's "French Kiss" but I am holding off looking at it until tonight. Gonna pour a glass of wine, do some cheese and crackers, and just enjoy looking at images from this fabulous photographer! Once last item of note on Peter's book - it is a SIGNED edition!!!
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment