Saturday, January 25, 2014

To crop or not to crop?

To crop or not to crop has always been an issue with me. One of the reasons I really liked zoom lenses was because I could use them to do my cropping in-camera without moving. But recently I saw a contact sheet belonging to Magnum photographer Elliott Erwitt, a photographer I have long admired. (He calls himself a "professional amateur" photographer.)
On the contact sheet, is the original shot of a small dog at the feet of its owner. The contact sheet shows how he wanted it printed and the crop of the negative was quite drastic but it made for a memorable image.
Then, today, I saw an image I had taken of my oldest granddaughter at her last high school softball game last year. I had sent it to her but her posting is cropped much differently that what I had sent to her. It was almost square and made for a much more effective image, I think. The little girl in the stroller (whose mom is hugging my granddaughter #21) really stands out in the image with this cropping!
So, thanks, Nikki, for the inspiration!!!


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment