Friday, January 31, 2014

Sometimes it is best to keep and wait

On several occasions, I have read about different old school documentary photographers who would shoot a roll of film but not develop the roll for a week, month, or even a year. The usual reason cited was to essentially put some distance between what the photographer thought he saw and what the film recorded.
I was just roaming through some old images for no particular reason other than to find something to post today. I found this shot that I title "In the midst of chaos".


If memory serves (and that is a big "IF"), this shot was recorded at the semi-annual wine festival in Seaside, Florida. This guy was just oblivious to the world while everyone else enjoyed the wine tasting event. To me, this is one of those ordinary images that just make my day to capture.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

4 comments:

  1. Great picture Richard. Again, the eye is drawn straight to the subject who is in such a contrast to everyone around him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. As I try to get use to this new way of "seeing" with the Fuji gear, I find I am drawn more to this type of imagery. I am heading to a wine tasting today at a new wine shop and will put this way of "seeing" to the test. Have you ever looked at NatGeo photographer Steve McCurry's blog (http://stevemccurry.wordpress.com/)? Today's post shows a variety of markets around the world. But, what really hit me about the images, is the graphical nature of the shots. The circles, triangles, rectangles, etc., are throughout these images. He drives the eye so that you don't just see an image but you see the components of the image. He truly is amazing!!!

      Delete
  2. No, I have not come across Steve McCurry before. But thank you for putting me on to him. Some very interesting images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is the famed photographer of the "Afghan Girl" from a number of years back. He doesn't update his blog often (no more than once a week, sometimes less) but he usually posts a number of images with quotes designed to provoke thought.

    ReplyDelete