Sunday, November 24, 2013

Can I handle a single focal length, part 4

The final installment of this subject and maybe even some conclusions.
Image #4, again from the 2004 UK trip, was taken in the Edinburgh train station. We had arrived from our bed&breakfast, checked the schedules, and were just sitting waiting on our train.
The station was not real busy but there were a number of travelers rushing about getting their tickets, using the ATMs, grabbing some reading material at one of the stands, etc. Seated on the bench next to me was a lady reading the morning newspaper she had picked up. I thought she would make a great subject and brought up my camera.
Seeing that my shutter speed was only a tenth of a second, I thought I could get some motion in the image if I waited for some travelers moving through the frame. Sure enough, it worked out as I got not just one but two walkers passing by behind her. But she was so intent on reading the paper that she never moved.


CONCLUSIONS

So after running through four images, can I make do with a single focal length? Well, maybe yes and maybe no. As I have seen in these four images, it is possible to still "fill the frame" with a subject if I am patient and spend time looking for an image.
I still have a tendency to look too far as if I had a 200mm lens so that is a tendency that I need to change so I can see images that are, literally, right in front of me.
Since the only "publication" route I have open is in exhibitions, I can take the time to develop this change.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

3 comments:

  1. I love the contrast of the crisp stillness of the lady reading her newspaper with the blur of passers by to which she is oblivious. A shutter speed of 1/10th second is pretty good for a handheld shot - how did you get the lady so sharp at that speed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sitting so I was able to brace myself against the chair back. Plus the weight of the Nikon D2H and Tokina 24-200mm added enough heft to stabilize with my elbows tucked closed to my body.
      Shooting at slow shutter speeds is something I have worked on from my days of shooting films like Kodachrome 64. It forced me to learn to find ways to set myself without a tripod.

      Delete