Thursday, November 21, 2013

Can I handle a single focal length, part 1

I have taken to studying my old images to see which ones I could shoot today with my new gear. After several decades of shooting outside of the normal range (say, 28mm to 60mm), I have been restricting myself to the Fuji X100S as I make the transition which has a 35mm field of view.
I dug into images from a 2004 trip to the United Kingdom to see if there were any images that fit close to this FOV. On that particular trip, I used my D2H and a Tokina 24mm-200mm superzoom to help keep down the weight of carrying several lenses.
In looking through the photos from that trip, I found four that fit the bill. All of these images were shot at the shortest focal length, 24mm, giving me a 36mm FOV with my D2H.
I am going to post each of the four images over the next few days and relate how each image is making me realize that I do not need to change my style or way of "seeing" as I had thought. I just need to open my eyes to what is there.
This first image is the one that epitomizes what I thought would have to become my standard shot with the new equipment. To be honest, I do not really remember taking this shot but it seems in my mind to really look like what a 35mm FOV image would be.


On initial glance at this image, I liked the perspective which created the diagonal lines from the architecture that add some bit of a 3D look to the shot. But what was it that got me to save this image rather than deleting it? What is the subject or subjects of the shot? Why bother giving this image a second glance? At first, I could not figure out why I pushed the shutter on this shot.
I mean, it is an ok scene that could be just about anywhere. Then I noticed the three workers goofing off on the balcony of the construction site. They all seemed to be looking in the same direction. That is when I noticed the young lady crossing the street. Now I realized why this image had not fallen victim to the dreaded "Delete" button on my keyboard.
While it is a visually interesting image because of the architecture and the perspective, it is the human element that really keeps me from sending this image to the recycle bin.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

2 comments:

  1. Richard, I agree. As soon as I saw the picture my eye was drawn to the three workman eyeing up the pretty girl crossing the street. For me it is all about this human element rather than the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes when I am shooting I have a difficult time "seeing" an image with a wide angle lens such as the 35mm FOV of the X100S. I have a tendency to want some point of focus in close. It is something I am working to try to change.
    But you saw it early in your view of the image as did my wife. To be honest, I do not remember why I tripped the shutter for this shot but I am glad that I did.

    ReplyDelete