Friday, October 11, 2013

SAFE!

This is one of my all-time favorite sports photos that I caught when working for a newspaper. I followed this particular high school for over a decade and became as well known to the fans and players as the coaches.
In this shot, the runner had taken a lead off first base and the catcher tries to pick her off. As I quite often did, I was focused on first base in anticipation of pickoff attempt. This time I was rewarded.
The runner dove back to the base so quickly that when she hit the ground her feet and legs kept going. But she was safe. The tips of her fingers touched the base just before the first baseman applied the tag and, viola, I have my image for the game.
This particular squad went on to win their district and got as far as the Elite Eight before they were overpowered by the eventual state champs.





As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment