Wednesday, October 9, 2013

New concept

Like a lot of other photographers, I not only do my own blog but also spend time looking at others' photo blogs. Mainly, I do this for inspiration from the images. If the particular post is about equipment, I will quite often pass on taking a look.
But recently I spent sometime on Olivier Duong's blog and ran across a posting he did some time back about I.A.S. (You can read it yourself here: http://tinyurl.com/oyu7bsj) I recently made mention of G.A.S., or gear acquisition syndrome, and said, that for me, it was about images. Duong calls it I.A.S. or image acquisition syndrome. And he is not talking about buying others' images but getting a jolt when YOU get an image that grabs you.
Henri Cartier-Bresson said the first 10,000 images are your worst. Well, I have shot well in excess of 10,000 and am still hoping the next image I am lucky enough to capture is THE ONE!
But, in the meantime, I will keep trying. Since taking the minimalist approach with the sale of all my DSLR gear and the acquisition of its replacements, I have been having a few problems catching an image that I want to keep. So, I started just taking one of the two cameras rather than both. Only time will tell but I am hopeful that this will help me to focus on getting an image worth keeping no matter which camera I have in hand.
Today's image is a very ordinary, everyday occurance that many of us do. Just a simple shot of a gentleman doing his grocery shopping. There have been aspects of shooting with just a 35mm field of view that I did not like such as having too many elements in the compositon. So much so that the image is just a confusing collection of things and people. But, in this image, it works for me. Having the additional FOV gives the image more meaning in some ways.
Now, in color, this image did not work for me. Too much distraction. But simplifying it to a black&white image allows the gentleman to pop a little from the image and draw the eye. Plus add in the fact that the camera (a Fuji X100S) is totally silent and so small that it does not draw much attention even when I bring it to my eye. And, as I get used to the camera and its capabilities, it can sometimes be a one-handed operation (which allows me to keep the grocery cart under control).
So with that said, here is today's shot.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

4 comments:

  1. I like it Richard. The gentleman looks slightly bewildered by the sheer scale of choice open before him. The wide angle really gives a sense of scale, with almost nobody else around to clutter his wanderings through the store.

    As for I.A.S. I couldn't agree more. I have a Canon 60D DSLR camera which I am very pleased with. It is near the top end of the amateur range before getting into the Pro cameras and gives me all I need or am likely to need for a very long time. I have got used to it so it has become second nature to use it, so why would I want to change it for something else that I would have to get used to using all over again just for the sake of some latest technical feature. It's not about the gear it's about striving to make good images. That is something I am still working on. I look back over my images and realise there are very few I am REALLY pleased with. But in my defence I would say I haven't hit 10,000 yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David. And I agree with you hanging on to that Canon! While I have recently sold all my DSLR gear, it was more about weight and what my needs currently are. I used my Nikon D2H bodies for 10 years - a lifetime in the digital age - and had some consternation about selling them. But the capabilities were more than I needed anymore. With retirement becoming a fact of life, 8fps and lightning-fast AF and AF tracking I no longer needed. But they were, just as you said, an extension of my hand and mind. While I do not miss the weight and size of the cameras and the f2.8 zooms I carried, I do miss what I was able to achieve with them and how lost I seem with the new gear. I really have to give myself time as I find a new direction for my photography.
    Thanks for your encouragement!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that my other camera is a Zenith-B which pre-dates the digital age. In fact, it pre-dates auto-focus, aperture priority and shutter priority ... I've had it forty years this year and I still love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember you mentioning the Zenith-B in a earlier post comment. I think I may have mentioned that I have one film camera left and it belonged to my dad. He bought a Yashica Electro35 GS in the early '70s in London while visiting my sister and her husband at RAF Mildenhall. I still shoot with it on occasion as I love the lens and Tri-X! But it is highly advanced in compared to your Zenith as it has a CDS meter, aperture priority, and a connection for flash!!

    ReplyDelete