Sunday, October 6, 2013

Gear Acquisition Syndrome or G.A.S!

While I am not going to get a large following for the effort spent on this blog, I am finding it enjoyable to do. So many of the photo blogs out there get into doing equipment reviews which feeds the G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) that technology has spawned. Other photo blogs just show the image but not a story behind the taking of it. Over the years, I have had different camera models by different manufacturers. Each time I changed to a new camera body, it was because I needed the capabilities of that particular body to do the job that I was either doing or wanted to be capable of doing. But they were just tools. The new cameras I have will probably be the last cameras I own in this lifetime. But they are just tools that I have to learn how they will best capture the images that are worth keeping and showing on this blog.
Now, off my soapbox and on to today's image.
The wife and I went to a local food festival yesterday. This image, IMO, is an improvement over what I have been doing with this new gear. I forced myself to shoot only with the Fuji X100S to try and get used to its 23mm lens (35mm in fullframe) over the X-E1 and its 35 mm lens (52mm in FF). I had been favoring the X-E1 lately as I seem to prefer a little more reach of that lens.
But this image with the X100S is probably the best I have done with the X100S. Until this image, I always seem to be too far away from the subjects to have a really effective image. Finally, I have a shot that, more or less, fills the frame but I am still not satisfied at this point. This image is missing any sense of the environment. All around were food booths from local restaurants as well as a few local businesses (two were funeral homes!!). But the one thing I do like is the low point of view with this shot. The woman was paying no attention to me. When she came by, I was already kneeling down to get some low angle shots. I was looking more for children and wanting to catch them and their parents but with their parents from about the waist down. But, when the opportunity presented itself, I hit the shutter button. In post processing, I put the image through Nik Silver Efex Pro II adding a little more contrast and a red filter to darken the blue sky.
So, while this image shows some improvement (again, IMO), it is still lacking key elements. Oh, well, onward and ever upward!!!



As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment