Monday, October 28, 2013

The Third Position

From 2000 archives.

Continuing on with images from the archives as I get used to the new equipment, this is a shot I have always liked. A former Las Vegas dancer has relocated to the Florida Panhandle and was starting a dance studio. This "studio", however, was in an elementary school as a suitable studio had not been found. The room was a multipurpose one that the school used for plays and indoor sports as well as the school's cafeteria.
The instructor, Anna Blank, and the parents of the children graciously allowed me to shoot one of the first classes. This shot is of a child's feet in (what I believe is) the third position.
Lighting was from some long, skinny windows on either side of the room. Since the exterior walls faced to the east and west, there was a lot of indirect light. I really like how my favorite b&w film, Tri-X, handled the light. On studying the image, you can see the framing of the windows on the floor. And I love how the film captured detail in the shadows. Nothing like film to bring out some nostalgia.
But the highlight of this image for me is the repair to the stockings. Seems to add a touch of documentary work to the image. I would really like to get involved with a local dance studio to get more shots like this. While I would have to adapt my new gear to it, I think it would be something fun to do. I could offer digital files to the parents as a way of soliciting their approval. Hmmmm, seems like a possible assignment that would be fun. As Art Linkletter said, "kids say the darndest things." In my experience, they also do the "darndest things."


Equipment used I believe was an Olympus OM-4T and Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 lens wide open.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment