Friday, October 25, 2013

Can I do this?

This shot was taken in 2001 while I was covering the Sandestin Triathlon at the Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort in Destin, FL, for the weekly newspaper.
I arrived early and had some shots of athletes checking in and getting their numbers on their arms and legs along with the electronic devices that tripped the sensors for times.
I do not remember this lady's name but I spotted her as I was walking the waterline among the competitors. She was really in her own thoughts.
I took this shot and then approached her to find out her story. It turned out this was her first triathlon and she had some misgivings about being able to complete the course. As we talked, I could almost see the tension leaving her body as she told me of her training regimen. It was as if talking about her efforts to prepare had convinced herself that her training would carry her through.
I did see her finish but have been unable to locate those images at the finish line. I hope she has succeeded in accomplishing all her goals.


This image was shot with a Nikon F100 and Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 lens on Tri-X film  exposed at ISO400 and processed in D-76.
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment