Sunday, October 20, 2013

Almost a mistake

As usual, I spend time each morning looking at several blogs that interest me. The blogs range from passionate amateurs to fulltime pros. Most of them use either Fuji X-System cameras or Leicas as I have transitioned from DSLRs to the X-System (Leicas are out of my price range!).
There are many good things I get from reading through the blogs. Inspiration, desire to go out and shoot, etc. But there is a downside that I noticed when I started to do this post.
I started to do a piece on composition and what works in my images because I saw several bloggers that had recently done that type of post.
It suddenly hit me this morning as I started to upload the post that this is not really what my blog is about. It is more about the emotion of an image rather than aesthetics of an image. So, I decided to revise this post to look more at what I originally started this blog about.
In the first image, I spotted this young man sitting in the stands at a basketball game with the hood of his sweatshirt up covering his head and only his partial profile in view.


Given the recent shooting in Florida this year and the "hoodie" theme, this image may provoke several different emotions. Some may find it sinister while others may find it appealing. In either event, I just like the dynamics and mystery of the image. Who is this young man? What are his ambitions? As they used to say on the radio, "only the Shadow knows." Oh, and by the way, this image was originally captured in December, 2007, long before Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman were front page news. 
Here is another of my favorite images from my youngest niece's wedding several years ago.



Before I always thought it was the interaction between this little flower girl and her mother that really made the image work. But on further study, it is more than that. What caught my eye more recently was there is a second flower girl in the image.
Look between the two dominant foreground subjects. Lo, and behold, there she is! This was something I did not notice on first inspection as my eyes were drawn to the interaction between mother and daughter. But, when I did see the second flower girl, the first thought that came to mind was "that is cool."
Sometimes the mind plays strange tricks and you end up with a photo that keeps surprising you. And it is those images I seek to find today - ones that will keep surprising me!
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

2 comments:

  1. The image is not at all sinister to me. When I attended all those basketball games at Freeport High School, the gym was always cold. I never could figure it out, because the players wore shorts! If this guy was like me, he was cold, end of story..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got some comments on the flower girl image from my facebook page including from the two flower girls. They are now beautiful young teenagers developing their own personalities!

    ReplyDelete