Thursday, October 3, 2013

A defining moment

Like I said, I am going on a trip down memory lane with the next few posts. This image goes back to about the turn of the century in 2000. You remember. There were all kinds of little programs being generated to make sure your computer could recognize the year "2000". All the doom and gloom that the world was going to stop....
Well, it didn't and I was still shooting for the little weekly. I had met the young lady in this image through the sport of volleyball. So when the time for Senior Prom came around, I spent parts of several days following her around with her mom. This shot was the day that she picked out her prom gown. This gown was one of her favorites due to the slit in the gown. Since she stood about six feet tall, the slit really accentuated her leg as she modeled the gown. Her mom and her date (standing stage right) looked on.
Besides this day, I also gathered images from her day of preparation. Her day at the hairdresser, manicure/pedicure, and getting ready at home. Two of her friends also came over with their dates. Her dad lent his BMW to her date to go to the prom. In the end, the paper ran a little photo essay of this young lady and all the preparation. She went on to college and later worked for the Pensacola News Journal daily newspaper.
In America, this is one of the defining moments in a lot of teenagers' lives. You are feeling that you are becoming an adult. You can vote, join the military, go to college, etc. But, for this one magical night, it is time to just have fun!



P.S. As I was finishing this post, I thought "I wonder if I can find Kris?" A quick google search and there she was on facebook! I sent her a private message about this post but have not heard back from her yet. If she does respond, I will have to update this post with her status. In looking at her facebook page, it looks like she has gotten involved in Women's Roller Derby!!!


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment