Sunday, September 29, 2013

Transition time

My blog is going to take a trip down memory land as I get more familiar with this new equipment and can produce some decent images. I am going to start with images from my time as a freelancer for a weekly newspaper in the Florida Panhandle. I was associated with that paper for 10 years and it was a lot of fun. This will actually help me post more often and getting me back to the purpose of this blog which is to talk about images.
This first image is one that had folks wondering how I got it. Since I was freelancing, I had my own gear but the paper had a crappy Tamron 400mm f5.6 prime lens. It was decent for daytime work but not much else. The editor had gotten a call that there were swans on one of the coastal dune lakes (very special lakes - more on the lakes in a later post) so I headed down to check it out.
I arrived at one of the local resort communities and headed toward the lake. I took a path that the resort had created to get closer to the water. As I started to see the water I decided I wanted to get a higher vantage point. The resort had built a low wall (about 3 feet or 1 meter high) along the edge of the path. I climbed up on the wall and started walking along it. I finally reached a point that I could see the lake and the swans. I had the 400mm on one of my bodies and on a Benbo monopod.
As I brought the camera up, I heard a rustle in the palmettos beneath me. I glance down but did not see anything at first. I brought the camera to my eye and, again, heard the rustle. This time when I looked down, I saw the open mouth of a cottonmouth snake which is very poisonous. This particular snake appeared to be about 5-6 feet long coiled up. With the height of the wall along with the distance the snake was from the wall, I figured I was about 5 feet away and that I was safe for a strike. I brought the camera back to my eye with the 400mm and took several shots hoping one would be sharp enough handheld. The image shown here was the best of the bunch.
I was close enough to this snake that I could have full extended my monopod and put it in the snake's mouth. But, needless to say, my momma did not raise a stupid boy!


And, as always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment