Friday, August 16, 2013

The Australian Shark

I have never considered myself to be a commercial photographer. I have also never thought of myself as portrait or wedding photographer.
BUT I have had the occasion to be the primary photographer for a high profile commercial shoot. Back in 2003-2004, I had the opportunity to do an advertising shoot of pro golfer Greg Norman at the Wild Heron golfing community on Lake Powell in the Florida Panhandle designed by Medallist Corporation. Not only was it good money but, all things considered, it was a very easy and fun shoot.
Greg was courteous, professional, and really enjoyable to be around. We had three locations to shoot at and had to be done by noon in order for him to prepare for a media event.
As luck would have it, the weather was perfect. It was springtime in the Florida Panhandle which brings beautiful water, squeaky white sand, and mild temperatures. We started early that morning to make use of the morning light at the gulfside pool of the resort. I would give Greg a suggestion for where to be and he would just hit the spot. Not only was he very comfortable in front of a camera but he seemed to know intuitively the best way to stand to make use of the light. And, being a mainly available light shooter, it made my part of the shoot almost point and shoot. The next two locations were indoors but, having scoped out the venues with the art director of the shoot for Wild Heron, I knew that the available light would be perfect for the spots that had been chosen.
This shot was in the final location inside one of the condos at the resort. Greg just was so comfortable in front of the camera that, from the beginning, my concerns over dealing with such a high profile celebrity vanished immediately.
While this kind of photography is not really up my alley and is not something I would want to do 100% of the time, it was fun.
After the shoot was done, I put on my newspaper hat as I was also covering the event for the local weekly that I was a contract photographer with. Even more fun? My wife, who was working full-time for the same weekly was at the press conference that was held. As usual, the tv reporters were firing questions right and left. When it came to the final question, all hands went up except my wife's. She had not been able to get a word in edgewise. It was then that Greg pointed at her and asked if she had a question for him. She did ask the question but the main thing she remembers is looking into those crystal blue eyes of the Shark!!


And, as always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

2 comments:

  1. Greg really made the job easy. Such a professional and his ease in front of the camera was nothing short of amazing!

    ReplyDelete