Saturday, July 20, 2013

Water Bugs!

I am continuing pulling images from history as I rebuild my website and change from DSLR gear to mirrorless gear. The change in gear has been an interesting trip. While I don't want the blog to focus on gear, making a change such as this has been a little stressful. I have a tendency to stay with one type of equipment no matter what that equipment is. I bought my first Chrysler product, a Plymouth Duster 340, in 1972. My next four new cars were all Chrysler products with the last one being a 2002 PT Cruiser that my wife still owns. It was the same with camera gear. My wife let me buy my first camera for my 30th birthday - an Olympus OM-10 w/manual adapter and 50mm f1.8. I ended up progressing to the OM-2S and finally the OM-4T. When I needed autofocus for newspaper work, I shifted to a pair of Nikon F100 bodies but stayed with mostly Tokina lenses. I changed to digital around 2001 but my last DSLRs were 10-year old D2H bodies that I bought when they were introduced in 2003.
But, with this last change to mirrorless gear, I also needed to change my thought process and the images that I shoot. No longer will I be able to shoot high school sports like I did with the DSLR gear. But it makes for an interesting challenge in this vocation that is totally different for me. For the last several years, I have had a tendency to "see" long with a telephoto view or short with a wide view. Very seldom did I "see" at what is consider the "normal" lens for 35mm format at a 50mm focal length. When I started shooting my dad's old Yashica Electro35 GS I had no choice but to "see" at the normal range as it is a 45mm focal length fixed lens rangefinder. That has been helpful as I start looking into the purchase of additional mirrorless gear.
I frequent a number of blogs that suit the style of early photojournalists that shot with 35mm and 50mm lenses quite frequently. Henri Cartier-Bresson, consider the father of modern photojournalism, shot almost totally with a 50mm lens. Before I shot almost exclusively with zoom lenses in order to quickly "fill the frame" which, with cameras with APS-C size sensors and 4.1 megapixels was almost a necessity. With the new mirrorless gear not only do I have over 16 megapixels in an APS-C camera, I have a sensor that is probably 4 stops of exposure better than my old D2H. The noise at ISO6400 is very manageable where with the D2H at ISO1600 the noise required some extra work in post processing. Plus the 16 megapixels gives me the capability of cropping that I did not enjoy before. In many cases, I can crop and still resize up to my favorite print output size of 12"x18".
Today's image is from a couple of days ago when my wife and I took three grandkids to a local waterpark.This fixed focal length rangefinder-style camera has been quite an upgrade from my old DSLRs. While this image is not a real big crop, the detail is much higher and makes for, IMO, a visually interesting image.



As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment