Monday, July 22, 2013

Diagonal lines - useful in composition?

Earlier today I got an email from the buyer of my Nikkor 1.8/85mm lens saying he had detected a problem and wanted to return it. After getting that process started, I began looking for something to post today. Almost immediately, I saw this image and began doing my usual b&w post processing before I noticed the image was with the same 85mm lens. As I looked at the image I began to wonder what possessed me to press the shutter button. One of the things I was taught (back when I was a kid thinking he could be a commercial artist) was that diagonal lines have a tendency to add motion to an image. As one can easily see in this shot, the offcenter composition along with the diagonal lines of the architecture, tables, and lights drive the eye toward the left side of the image. With the one woman in sharp focus, the eye lingers for a second before proceeding on. At least, that is what happens when I look at this image.
One thing I have been considering is getting a lens in the 75mm-90mm range to go along with the Fuji X-E1 and 1.4/35mm combo and my X100S. I had sold this lens because it is an autofocus lens but would only be used manually on the X-E1 so I sold it. Now I will have to decide if this is fate returning the lens to me because it is the one tele I should keep.


As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

No comments:

Post a Comment