Monday, July 29, 2013

Change - it is acoming

I just recently purchased an Fuji X-E1 with 35mm f1.4 to augment my stable of cameras. But I got to thinking again how this new setup is going to change my shooting "eye". For so many years I have carried cameras that allowed me to go extremely wide or long that my "eye" searches for image that work for that type of effect. Now that I am restricting myself to not so wide or long, I find I myself trying to adjust to this new venue. Right now I plan on having the two cameras with three lenses with the widest at 35mm (on the X100S) and the longest at 127mm (on the X-E1).

But I still want to shoot people like I always have done. This shot was taken on St. Martin in the Caribbean. We had arrived there on the Carnival Miracle and, as per our usual, were just roaming to see the place. This shot, taken with an 18-200mm superzoom at 150mm, was some distance from where we were standing. I now will have to make the effort to move closer to get the framing and composition that I want.

The challenges are still there with this new system. I just hope I am up to the task.

 
As always, make a comment!! Let me know what you think! Until next time, keep on shooting.....

2 comments:

  1. Rich, you have such an ability to see a 'story' in the most 'usual' of moments, and to use the technology of fine cameras to capture the image perfectly. You amaze me over and over again in your wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Linda. The new camera will be a challenge as I transition into retirement mode. But I really want to find some local non-profits to work with that will give purpose to my shooting. The decade I spent shooting for the small weekly newspaper gave me an opportunity to document people's lives. One high school senior (athlete and scholar) I have kept in touch with. She is now married, working and living in London, England, as a solicitor with one of the world's largest law firms. To think back to that 18-year-old beauty that walked across the graduation stage in the little town on Freeport, FL, and had the drive and ambition to become what she is today has been an amazing trip to watch. Now that I am closer to the grandkids I hope to document their lives better than I did in the past.

    ReplyDelete